There has been another sad story of a pensioner in Whitby being conned by theives claiming to be from the ‘Water Board’ to gain entry into a property and then steal cash. Other incidents have been reported in York and Thirsk and they target the vulnerable of the community. How can you help?
- If you have an elderly relative or neighbour warn them how common this crime is becoming and remind them to ask for ID.
- Perhaps consider offering to check credentials of any callers yourself.
- Remind them that the water board, electricity board, gas board no longer exist.
- With most legitimate work that needs to be carried out, they will have received a letter in advance and will be expecting someone, even then, ask to see their ID, any genuine workmen will not mind.
- Try and get them to use the keychain on the door as a matter of routine, a lot of vulnerable people think them unnecessary.
- A lot of companies have a password scheme where you can register and this will be used by all employees to confirm their identity.
- Lastly, please check on your vulnerable relatives and neighbours regulary; a close community can wipe out this type of crime.
This isn’t the only scam that’s being perpetrated against our community. Let’s stand together and educate one another to disempower the criminals.